Wednesday, July 6, 2011

In the Past

I say this all of the time: I don't miss my single life. Ever. I feel like I waited a long time to meet and marry the man meant for me and start a family. I certainly wouldn't change it 364 days out of the year. But the 4th of July? And no fireworks? This is a crime against my sensibilities!

Even from the very beginning my husband has known that I am a fireworks fanatic. I grew up near the Fireworks Capital of America, afterall. I became a chemist because I wanted to make fireworks (so I ended up making paint, what of it?). I dragged his crabby butt down to The Point to see them our first year together. And then family happened...the next year we went to his sister's place (she used to have the family over on the 4th when she lived closer).

And then...life happened. We have tried to take the kids with less-than-successful results. Around here, the place to be is dahntahn (downtown) but that would be insane with four small kids. Oh, we could do it but there's a better than average chance that we might not come home with all of them. The local townships have decent shows but it is NOTHING like Pittsburgh's. It's a very unique venue with the rivers, the bridges and the Point and such and the show is spectacular (even when you're watching it on TV). In fact, if you're not from around these parts I would recommend you make the trip once in your lifetime - it would be worth it.

My husband knows how much I miss this and he tries - so unsuccessfully sometimes it's funny - but he does try. This year he thought it might be fun to watch the fireworks from Disney World's celebration. Not a bad attempt in theory but our computer is ancient in technology years so it was like watching a news reporter on video phone. Yeah, that bad. Here. You try.

1 comment:

jodie (www.allgoodinmommyhood.com) said...

How sweet of him!!! We never saw fireworks either...same reasons...which I was sad about!

How is the running coming along? :)