All of our other kids have given it up, er, I mean had it taken away between 15 and 18 months. Our pediatrician recommends by 15 months, but that was our old peditrician. This guy...well, he's not as opinionated as our other one (and he talks like Elmer Fudd...but that's a post for another day). Also, once I found out we were going to be flying I was afraid to have her in a plane without something to suck on. In hindsight (which is 20/20), we should have gotten rid of it sooner. We lost ALL of the binkies I took with us and ended up buying an emergency one at a Walgreen's while we were there ($5! For ONE!!).
I don't expect this to be easy, but I know it's time. I hate when people say that their baby "won't". I mean "won't" do...whatever. There are only two things that you can't force a child to do - eat and sleep. Other than that, you're the one in charge. That doesn't mean I don't feel awful taking away something that gives her instant comfort because I do. I just know that it probably inhibits her speech a bit and that it might be contributing to the fact that she only has three teeth on the bottom (well, not counting her MOLARS, which she got while we were at WDW).
I'm just a little...sad, I guess. It means she's becoming a "big girl". It's just one more step on that road. And I know that there are no more binkies in our future. I'm also happy, too. Because I really hate having to get up at 3AM and find those damn things for her...
1 comment:
I had a guess on what a binky was but I didn't want to comment until I knew for sure. Now that I know what it is (I guess), I will say this...
We never had that problem. We had a different set of problems. Our 2 youngest NEVER took a binky. They refused it every time. We even tried fooling them to get them to take it and it never happened. So we had a lot of LONG night and trips without the magical item.
Post a Comment