Preparations for today began last year when a wee leprechaun visited Oldest Boy's kindergarten room and wreaked havoc while they were at lunch. It was all he could talk about on the way home! I casually mentioned that an article in one of my magazines had directions for building a leprechaun trap. He said, "I need to see that."
He told everyone he could think of about the leprechaun. My Aunt Jo even bought this book, which gave us some additional information for our plans. We were going to get his pot of gold! It would be SO easy!
The article was clipped and saved away...but not forgotten. Every few months he would ask about it and I started to get as excited as he was. I purchased the supplies and saved an empty oatmeal container (which my husband then threw away...). For three days we worked on our traps in our spare time (staining the carpet in the basement along the way. Of course). This morning, we were ready:
When we came home from Oldest Boy's doctor's appointment (he ALSO still has a double ear infection), we could tell that something wasn't quite right. The blinds in the boys' room were all askew! There was a note taped to the window!Quick as the wee folk themselves, the boys raced up the stairs! Youngest Boy was practically jumping out of his skin. "We caught one!! We caught one!!" Oldest Boy was a little more cautious. (He actually held his arms out, the way my grandmother used to do when she would have to slam on the brakes, as if to protect us). Sadly, the traps were empty. However, he sure did a number on their room! There were toys everywhere! Nearly all of their clothes were tossed about the room. Beds were unmade. Pillows were strewn about and some were even out of their cases! Their bookshelves were messed up and the books were scattered all over the place. But the little guy left the boys a note and a couple of $1 coins:
You didn’t catch me!
You silly boys!
All I did was mess
Up your toys!
You didn’t catch me!
I made a big mess!
I threw all your clothes!
It will be hard to dress!
You didn’t catch me!
I keep the gold in my pot!
But I left you this coin…
It’s really not a lot
Your sister may have
something else to share
I’ll see you next year
-if you dare!
Finnegan
The Leprechaun
You silly boys!
All I did was mess
Up your toys!
You didn’t catch me!
I made a big mess!
I threw all your clothes!
It will be hard to dress!
You didn’t catch me!
I keep the gold in my pot!
But I left you this coin…
It’s really not a lot
Your sister may have
something else to share
I’ll see you next year
-if you dare!
Finnegan
The Leprechaun
I had explained to the boys that he probably wouldn't bother Baby Girl's room because leprechauns like babies and Baby Girls. Sure enough, he left her candy and this note!!Overall, we all had a blast. Oldest Boy told me that today was going to be the "Best Wednesday of my whole life!" I think it was!
**Incidentally, it's way more fun to be a leprechaun than the tooth fairy...
5 comments:
soooo cute! i didn't even know about leprechauns really until renee came home from school yesterday talking all about it. the boys are funny :)
That is a very cute idea! I'm going to have to remember this when my little guy is older.
Great idea! Sounds like a lot of fun :)
YOU ARE SO CREATIVE!!! We wore green and called it a day.
This is SUCH a fun idea!!! I've never done anything with the leprechaun. Maybe next year when I'm feeling a bit more energetic!
Post a Comment