Status: Complete.
(Alternate title: A Sad, Sad Day)
It's official. We have eliminated naps from Baby Girl's schedule. Damn. I will miss the downtime during the day BUT I will NOT miss waking up countless times during the night with her. I will NOT miss taking over an hour to fall asleep every.single.night. It was time but it's a sort of closing of a chapter. She's officially (by my definition) not a "toddler" any more (and I don't care what you say, Baby Center, she is NOT a preschooler). I guess this makes her one of the big kids.
There have been a lot of chapters closing this week. I officially packed up all of the newborn girl clothes - never to be taken out of storage and used again. *sniff. sniff* It was different before because I always knew that there was a chance that I would unpack them again. But we're done with baby making around these parts (and with 4 children under the age of 7, there's little time for baby-making anyhow). It feels...right. Our children - all four of them - make our life together complete. I no longer dream about what the "next one" will look like. Chapter closed.
Oldest Boy starts first grade tomorrow. FIRST GRADE! Yikes! He'sa little extremely nervous about it but I think once he realizes that his friends will all be there and that things aren't going to be all that much different (we're both really stressed about whether there will be snack time or not), he'll be fine. And he'll eventually master going up and down the "scary steps" from his classroom to the cafeteria and gym. Chapter closed.
Youngest Boy starts preschool next week. He's starting SCHOOL, y'all. I can't wrap my brain around the fact. He is sooooo ready, though. He's been waiting for this day for TWO YEARS, ever since his big brother started preschool. He'll have the same teacher that Oldest Boy had but that means he'll be at a different school than Oldest Boy is at now. I have to pick him up. I have to pick Oldest Boy up. This means a boatload of time spent in the Space Shuttle. With two little girls who aren't particularly fond of their car seats. It also means my grocery shopping habits are going to change. During the summer, I went every Thursday and my aunt (the saint) came and stayed with two kids while I took one of the older kids and Little One with me. My plan now is to take the girls while the boys are both in school on Thursday morning. It will be insane, and she HAS offered to come on Fridays so I can cut down on the chaos a bit, but then I would be giving up time with Youngest Boy which I do NOT want to do. He's not going to be getting much individual attention during his school days because we'll be so busy so I'd like to actually get to see him a bit when I can. We'll manage. Chapter closed.
At least I still have Little One, my baby. She's not particularly fond of sleeping right now, but she'll eventually sleep through the night (right?). I know that I should "teach" her to fall asleep on her own but folks, it ain't happening. I rock her to sleep. I know our pediatrician will tell me I shouldn't, but I would rather spend 10 days of pure hell to let her cry it out when she's 18 months (or 4 years) old than give up an entire year or more of holding a sleeping baby. I swear, my blood pressure drops 20 points when she falls asleep, all curled up on my chest and holding my finger. {SIGH} Would you stop? This chapter will be open for awhile...
(Alternate title: A Sad, Sad Day)
It's official. We have eliminated naps from Baby Girl's schedule. Damn. I will miss the downtime during the day BUT I will NOT miss waking up countless times during the night with her. I will NOT miss taking over an hour to fall asleep every.single.night. It was time but it's a sort of closing of a chapter. She's officially (by my definition) not a "toddler" any more (and I don't care what you say, Baby Center, she is NOT a preschooler). I guess this makes her one of the big kids.
There have been a lot of chapters closing this week. I officially packed up all of the newborn girl clothes - never to be taken out of storage and used again. *sniff. sniff* It was different before because I always knew that there was a chance that I would unpack them again. But we're done with baby making around these parts (and with 4 children under the age of 7, there's little time for baby-making anyhow). It feels...right. Our children - all four of them - make our life together complete. I no longer dream about what the "next one" will look like. Chapter closed.
Oldest Boy starts first grade tomorrow. FIRST GRADE! Yikes! He's
Youngest Boy starts preschool next week. He's starting SCHOOL, y'all. I can't wrap my brain around the fact. He is sooooo ready, though. He's been waiting for this day for TWO YEARS, ever since his big brother started preschool. He'll have the same teacher that Oldest Boy had but that means he'll be at a different school than Oldest Boy is at now. I have to pick him up. I have to pick Oldest Boy up. This means a boatload of time spent in the Space Shuttle. With two little girls who aren't particularly fond of their car seats. It also means my grocery shopping habits are going to change. During the summer, I went every Thursday and my aunt (the saint) came and stayed with two kids while I took one of the older kids and Little One with me. My plan now is to take the girls while the boys are both in school on Thursday morning. It will be insane, and she HAS offered to come on Fridays so I can cut down on the chaos a bit, but then I would be giving up time with Youngest Boy which I do NOT want to do. He's not going to be getting much individual attention during his school days because we'll be so busy so I'd like to actually get to see him a bit when I can. We'll manage. Chapter closed.
At least I still have Little One, my baby. She's not particularly fond of sleeping right now, but she'll eventually sleep through the night (right?). I know that I should "teach" her to fall asleep on her own but folks, it ain't happening. I rock her to sleep. I know our pediatrician will tell me I shouldn't, but I would rather spend 10 days of pure hell to let her cry it out when she's 18 months (or 4 years) old than give up an entire year or more of holding a sleeping baby. I swear, my blood pressure drops 20 points when she falls asleep, all curled up on my chest and holding my finger. {SIGH} Would you stop? This chapter will be open for awhile...
4 comments:
On to new and even more exciting things, right? When one chapter ends a new one begins....
I completely agree on the point you made about holding a sleeping baby. There is nothing like it in the world!
Good luck to all your children starting school!
I feel the same way about this stage ending. I have BAGS of outgrown clothes that need to be sorted and given away and I get all panicky when I think about it. Not. Ready. Yet.
LOVE the picture! Have I ever told you how much Baby Girl reminds me of Maren? Could you imagine the two of them together! (I have seen Baby Girl in several outfits that Maren has and adores - they would be TROUBLE together!)
I am so sorry about the demise of naps - we are just about there, and I am already devestated over it! I agree with Beth - close one chapter, and open another. I am making that my new mantra, because otherwise I find it all just terribly depressing.
her quitting naps is the scariest thought of my LIFE. OHMYGOD NO PLEASE.
hang in there, i STILL can't give away our newborn clothes and i'm pretty sure i'm done with kids. HARD.
Post a Comment