Monday, August 12, 2013

Big Girl

We had a busy weekend, as usual.  Saturday morning the kids all had a dentist appointment at 8AM - an appointment that normally takes about 45 minutes total.  We had a lot we needed to accomplish so I had planned to get a long run in around 9AM and still have plenty of time to do everything else.  But, alas, plans change.  The dentist's office hired a new hygienist who must be very thorough because we weren't done until 10:15 - which blew all chances of my run right outta the water.  I barely had time for a shower!

We had to run an errand in a city about 90 minutes from home and then we had plans to meet my sister-in-law for a big event:



Baby Girl got her ears pierced!!  I had originally "planned" for it to be just me and the girls (Little One isn't sure how she feels about this - on one hand, she wants to be like her sister; on the other hand, she does NOT like pain and she saw her sister cry).  But, plans being thrown right out the window is how we roll these days so the boys and Daddy were along for the experience.  I was kinda crabby about it because, of course, they just wanted to be done and I  wanted to make it all about the experience.  Guys just don't get that this is a big day in a little girl's life!
 
At the same time, little Miss Ivy got her ears pierced, too:
 

 
You can tell by the look on her face that she's starting to suspect something, she's just not sure what...
 
All in all, I'll just say it's done and she loves them!  She really can't stop looking at herself in the mirror (Baby Girl, not Ivy.  I'm pretty sure Ivy has forgotten about the whole thing by now.)
 
Then this morning, there was a meteor shower so I took the boys outside around 5AM.  It was a bit anti-climactic as there were some clouds in the sky in the area that was supposed to be the best viewing but we did each see 3-5 shooting stars so at least it wasn't a wasted experience.  And they're signed up for the next show (sometime in mid-Dec)(If you're interested in this kinda thing, the meteor shower continues through Wed morning, with the best viewing being pre-dawn).
 
Also this week - we had our annual water balloon hunt/battle.  The kids each get a bucket and after I've hidden balloons around the yard, they find them and fill their buckets.  After they're all found, we have at it.  This year I filled around 300 balloons and invited the neighbor kids to play along.  I also recruited the other neighbor's oldest son (he's probably in his late twenties?) to help me hide them because, yinz guys, 300 is A LOT of balloons!  Next year, we're going epic - I'm going to buy bags for all of the neighbors and invite them to fill them and meet at our house for fun and refreshments!  Can't wait!  I get to be the coolest mom on the block - for about 12 minutes!

No comments: