Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Summer and The Next Big Race


I haven't been posting too much since summer vacation started.  I know I tend to be in the minority, but for the most part, I LOVE having my kids home.  That first week, however, is an adjustment for all of us.  We survived, and now we're enjoying each other's company again.  We signed up for the Summer Brain Games at the Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) and haven't really started, but that's going to change today.  I'll be sure to post our successes (and failures!) so that you can see what you're missing! ;)  If you have kids, you should sign up.  Plus, if you're going to be in the Chicago area, you get one free admission.  And if you blog about it, I think you can be entered to win some sort of tech package (I haven't got to that part, yet).

Even though that first week was pretty un-scheduled we've made up for it since with plenty of visits to doctors, dentists, and surgeons.  When I had to call Aunt Jo for the third time, I asked if she could just move in! ;)  So far, the summer is shaping up to be busy but not over-scheduled.  I sometimes worry that I'm doing our kids a disservice by not having them signed up for summer sports but then I see our neighbors who spend all weekend running back and forth to two or three different fields and events and I think maybe WE aren't the ones doing a disservice.  I'm not judging...it's just not how I want my kids to remember childhood.  To each their own.

That being said, our boys are taking swim lessons for two weeks in July.  I'm excited and more than a little nervous.  I'm not a strong swimmer, primarily because I'm nearly legally blind without my glasses - the main reason I could never, ever conceive of doing a triathlon.  Ever.  But I want my boys to at least learn the basics.  I want them to have a fighting chance if the need ever arises.  Girls are next summer (Little One isn't old enough for this particular type of class).

And my next race - July 13th.  The Fireworks 5K - Run for your Heart.  This race is near and dear to my heart (no pun intended).  I signed up on a whim for the inaugural running and this will be the third year.  I also dragged my sister along.  I was surprised at where the start and finish lines are - the old hospital in town.  The place where our beloved Grandma A passed away.  From a massive heart attack.  I really think that my entire family should be participating in this somehow - walking (even just the 1 mile!), running, racing, volunteering or AT LEAST cheering us on.  You can feel that we're supposed to be there.  At first, it hits you like a ton of bricks but then, at least for me, there's a peace.  Like at least I'm doing something to prevent heart disease in my OWN body and maybe encouraging others.  My mom and youngest brother are planning to be there, I think.

This year, my sister's running the 10K.  I'm gunning for a 5K PR (personal record) of under 27:15 (my last time at this race).  Last year I PR'd with Achilles tendinitis.  I also took 1st in my age group.  I'm looking to kick butt this time, but I'll be happy with a PR.  And it would be REALLY nice to place in my bracket.  Of course, since this will be the first time we're staying for the awards ceremony I probably won't.  They also changed the course - it has typically been VERY fast - because there's a bridge that's under construction.  As in, not there right now.  For the first time, they're not hyping this up as a "very fast" course. Sigh.

No comments: