Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Farm 2012

We made our annual pilgrimage to The Farm this week.  Unlike most years, it was NOT a straight-forward drive.  There were 3 (count 'em, 3!) different detours.  On the third detour, we made a turn (I ignored the GPS, "Maggi Ellen", when she tried to tell me to turn down a DIRT road and simply followed the detour signs on this one) and there in front of me was a very s-l-o-w moving coal train.  I'm pretty sure I cursed.  I decided to suck it up and count the cars with the kids.  There were only maybe 4 or 5 cars left when I noticed...something.  I turned to my sister who was riding shotgun and said, "What the heck am I supposed to do now?!?!  LOOK!"  On the other side of the tracks was a combine harvester which took up both lanes of the road (it being a two-lane road is extremely questionable) and then some.  I ended up having to back up into a random driveway and wait it out.  At least the farmer dude in the truck in front waved at me!

But.  We made it.  I took photos of the train and the combine but they're on my phone and I'm just not that savvy.  My Youngest Boy saw me taking pictures and got out his trusty camera and started snapping shots...of houses we passed and I think the occasional tree and/or cell phone tower (sidenote:  I don't think they were cell phone towers as that is the only place I have ever been where I get NO SERVICE.).
 There were kittens for everyone to hold.  Grandma is saying, "Honey!  You're being a little heavy-handed with that 10-day-old kitty!!":
 This kitty and her sisters were in the 6-week-old range.  Old enough to come home with us, but, alas, Mr. MOTH isn't convinced we need a pet.  Yet.
 The kids played a rousing game of hide-n-seek while we caught up with my Aunt E.  Little One's "hiding" spot:


 This photo just cracks me up.  They look like they're about to head out on an African safari, especially with the camera!




We followed Maggi Ellen's (it's a Magellan GPS) route home with no major detours or delays.  And now Baby Girl has embarked on a unique strategy to convince her daddy that she needs a kitten.  It's called "whine, beg, plead" and it's worked for other things so I'm convinced we'll be buying Tidy Cat by the end of the summer. ;)

No comments: