We are about a week behind in our Summer Brain Games quest, but that's OK. We'll make up for lost time this week.
Week #3 is Bottle Rockets. I had orginally planned for this to happen during the 4th of July weekend when Mr. MOTH was home for a few extra days but that didn't work out. Although I think he was looking forward to participating; when he read the instructions he said, "Look, boys! We're going to get to meet the local authorities!!" LOL!
I'll make a small admission here: When I was working as an analytical chemist for a paint and coatings company, I was in charge of the Take Your Child to Work Day activities. We did something very similar to this activity except it was in a sealed ziploc bag instead of a bottle with a cork. This one requires more prep time (good, if you've got a creative child; bad if you just wanna get it done). It's a simple chemical reaction which generates a gas that fills the volume of the container and causes an "explosion". Cool, when you're a child. Very cool when you're an adult.
Because Baby Girl believes EVERYTHING needs to be decorated, we went the bottle rocket route:
Youngest Boy was in charge of the launch pad - we had one "rocket" for boys, one for girls.
Little One has ZERO interest in these science experiments. She does, however, make off with the necessary equipment every time. That's toilet paper:
Pour a 1/4 cup vinegar into a small plastic bottle (we used 10oz water bottles); place a teaspoon or so of baking soda on 2 squares of TP and fold it up; Drop the TP in the bottle, cork it TIGHTLY, invert it on your launch pad and run like heck!!
This was too hard for the little kids. Oldest Boy probably could have done it but there was too much confusion and fear from the others. It only worked when I took control. But they were still impressed when the rocket shot right out of it's construction paper wrapper. Note: We did not meet the local authorities.
Next up: Week #4 Buoyancy with aluminum foil. I'm making it a competition between the kids - whoever's boat holds the most coins gets to keep the coins (Little One, she LOVES coins so I'm hoping to keep her attention).
No comments:
Post a Comment