First up, I HAVE A BRAND-SPANKIN' NEW NIECE!! WOOT! WOOT! Born yesterday, 9/8 at 6:21PM - 8#3oz, 21 inches. Beautiful. The new momma is doing fine. The new daddy it "tired". (I tried really, really hard not to laugh when he said that. Try not sleeping through the night for 8 1/2 years, buster!).
Yesterday, I had to do it all. Every thing that my kids have going on happened all at once. Baby Girl had Pre-K (but only for two hours). Little One and I had to take her but it didn't make sense to go home and do what? Turn around half an hour later to go back? So we did what any sane mommy does: We went SHOPPING! Baby Girl has a big-kid bed but no mattress/sheets/mattress pad, etc. so we tried to take care of some of that.
Meanwhile, my SIL, "K" was being induced. They broke her water and then we waited. I was getting updated by text because, as much as I really, really wanted to be there it wasn't happen' yesterday.
I had to come home, organize papers from three classrooms and two separate schools, make dinner and throw it in the crockpot (meatballs), pack snacks for after-school and snacks for the cross-country meet, pack uniforms and changes of clothes, feed the girls and get at least one of them down for a nap.
Off to the school to pick up the boys, drove to the park, convinced the girls that they didn't REALLY want to play on the playground (yeah, right), walked up a very, very steep hill while pushing 75+ pounds in a stroller, got my assigned spot for the race complete with walkie-talkie and bright orange vest, walked to my post, waited patiently (yeah, right) with all three kiddos running up and down a very, very steep hill (and sometimes rolling), neurotically checked my phone for a text, jumped up and down like a lunatic when they texted that she was pushing, freaked out when one of the runners had an asthma attack AT my post (this siutation still causes me to be extremely pissed and frustrated as I had no way of telling them accurately where I was and the coach - she was from another school - was completely incompetent at dealing with this as SHE told her that maybe she should keep running), watched a doctor throw his medical bag because he thought she was still with me (I radioed that she wasn't but he must have already taken off or something), lost count of how many runners had passed my post, walked another - very scared - little girl up the hill because she got a side stitch, missed my son cross the finish line, cheered when I found out he PR'd, shoved fruit into the girls' mouths so they would stop whining to get out of the stroller, waited for the ambulance to show up for the little girl with asthma, prayed for her with my children on the way back to the car, came home, cooked spaghetti, cried at the picture my brother and mother sent of baby "V", put the kids to bed, drank a beer, ran a bubble bath and invited my husband in.
Can't wait 'til next week when I get to do it all again. Twice. (Minus the "waiting for baby" part).
PS I had my longest run of my life on Wednesday - 4+ miles - on the treadmill. WOOT!
4 comments:
Sounds like fun. I love being a mom.
Congrats on your niece!! and your longest run! way to go! :) Your not sleeping comment made me chuckle - i hear ya!!
LOVE your post!!!! You rattle off details that would cause some people to just lose it!!!!! I think we embrace motherhood the same way - I have often wanted to just do a laundry list of the things that happen in my day - sounds a lot like yours (minus the little bundle of joy)...a "tired" new dad - ha!!!! just you wait, buddy!!!! :) i have a Heinekin light chilling in the freezer as I type! way to go on your long run!!!! that is awesome!!! any races in the forecast??!!
Congrats on the new niece! There is nothing quite like a new little life to love.
Post a Comment