Monday, October 18, 2010

Menu Plan Monday


As if there's not enough shtuff going on around here, I thought I'd jump on this blog carnival/linky thing. Look, I'm not up on the lingo, but I like the idea of planning my menu. Technically, I've been doing this for years ala the Flylady, but I typically plan my menu on Wednesday (since Errand Day is Thursday around here). For the sake of having something to post every Monday (notice I'm slowly moving my crazy post down) I thought I'd join in with the Organizing Junkie and her thang. So, here we go:

Monday - Pasta and sauce (basic)
Tuesday - Meatball Soup (recipe follows) and Italian Bread using bread machine
Wednesday - Slow cooker Swiss Steak (I've not tried this yet. Fun!), mashed potatoes
Thursday - Breakfast for dinner (eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc.)
Friday - Homemade Pizza (recipe follows) - family tradition
Saturday - tacos
Sunday - Chili - I have no recipe for this, so I'm open to suggestions. Corn bread.

Meatball Soup:


1 can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic – undrained (14.5oz)
1 can reduced sodium beef broth (14oz)
1 ½ cups water
½ tsp Italian seasoning – crushed
½ of 16oz pkg Italian-style frozen cooked meatballs
1 cup frozen loose-packed mixed vegetables
½ cup small dried pasta (ditalini or orzo)
1 TBSP Parmesan cheese (optional)
In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, broth, water and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Add meatballs, frozen vegetables, and pasta. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until vegetables and pasta are tender. If desired, sprinkle each serving with Parmesan

Homemade Pizza Dough (makes 2 large pizzas)

2 cups whole wheat flour 1 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour 1 tsp garlic salt
2 cups warm water 4 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP brown sugar 2 pkgs dry yeast
¼ cup dry milk Corn meal
Pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings of your choice

Dissolve milk and sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over top and allow to proof for 10 minutes. Stir salt, garlic salt, and olive oil into the yeast mixture. Mix in flour – 1 cup at a time – until most is incorporated. Turn dough out onto surface dusted with remaining flour and knead until elastic – at least 5 minutes. Allow dough to rest for 5 minutes. Divide in half and roll out on floured surface. Place on pizza pans that have been greased and sprinkled with corn meal. Top with sauce and bake at 450°F for 14-15 minutes. Remove from oven and add cheese and toppings. Return to oven for additional 7-9 minutes or until cheese in melted. Allow to rest 5 minutes before cutting.

2 comments:

Niki Jolene said...

Yum, meatball soup sounds good right about now. I have never made that before!

I am enjoying the visit to your blog, and I hope you'll come by to Free 2 Be Frugal sometime soon.

Amber said...

I like making the chili on the back of the McCormick seasoning packets, lol.

I also have a thrown together recipe:
2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
1 large can crushed tomatoes
2 small cans of diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 can of kidney beans (red or...whatever the other color is), drained and rinsed
1-2 can(s) of chili beans (not drained OR rinsed)
1 green pepper, seeded and diced
1 onion, diced (can cook both with the ground beef if you like them soft)
2 cloves garlic, diced or minced
2 packets chili seasoning, plus chili powder to taste (I needed about 6 good shakes last time)
if necessary, add a small can of tomato paste with up to 1 can of water.

Makes enough for a couple of meals, plus some husband lunches.