I put together all of Little One's outfits (seriously, she has more than enough clothes - if she were triplets!) which means that each individual outfit plus a diaper is in a gallon-size zip-top bag so that anyone (meaning NOT ME) could dress her in the morning. I then put all of those in my second (smaller) suitcase - which is where I thought maybe I could get all of the kids clothes...and it was about half full. Yeah. This is going to be fun...
Mr. MOTH had all of his vacation clothes laid out on the bed. Next to that I had piles for everyone else - Me, Baby Girl, Oldest Boy, and Youngest Boy (as Little One's are already packed). He had the nerve to look at it all and say, "Well, here's my stuff. And then there's mommy..." Again, I think I deserve a medal for not
And then there's the backpacks. I am trying to have the older kids be as responsible as they can for their own stuff. In particular, I'm worried about keeping them entertained on the flight (I have my fingers crossed that Little One will sleep. HA!). The boys already have backpacks for school and I bought Baby Girl a princess one so that they can each carry their own snacks, crayons, change of clothes, etc. They're not going to have a lot in there, but Mr. MOTH thinks this is a very bad idea. I think it's brilliant. I already feel like a pack mule when we go anywhere let alone on a long trip so the less I have to try to stuff in the diaper bag, the better. I finally convinced him that we should try it my way on the trip down and if it doesn't work, he has free reign to say, "I told you so!" as many times as he would like on the trip back (when their backpacks will be packed in a suitcase). Here's hoping I don't regret it. I wonder if I'm allowed any "I told you so's" if it DOES work...
Also, we've got a car seat situation. Technically, the law in Florida is that booster seats are recommended for children over 4, but not required. I don't care. The boys need their boosters. And the girls need car seats with 5-point harnesses. For those of you counting, that's 4 car seats. Plus a double-wide stroller. Plus our 3 or 4 or 5 suitcases. Plus my mom. Plus my mom's luggage. Now, we drive a '04 Honda Odyssey (aka the Space Shuttle) and it has quite a bit of room. We are renting a Dodge Caravan in Orlando. Mr. MOTH wants to pack all 4 carseats in our car seat carrier bags to take BEFORE we leave. Which means we would have a total of 8 car seats - 4 packed, 4 being used - for the trip to the airport (about an hour away). Now, my husband has crazy packing skills, but even he can't defy the laws of physics and make this much crap fit. He seemed a little surprised when I asked my brother to please, please, please drive our mother here in case we can't fit. At which point he can drive her (plus half of our shit) to the airport. Yeah, this is definitely going to be fun...
Add to all of this the stress of life with 4 kids to begin with, a playdate with Oldest Boy's best bud, transferring our goldfish to my Aunt Jo to fish-sit, figuring out what to do about the mail, getting ready for back-to-school, preparing for a trip to Michigan the weekend after we return, and on and on and on. I'm going to need a vacation when we get back!
4 comments:
I think having each kiddo pack a backpack with all of their carry-on stuff is the way to go! We have always had our kiddos do that - it helps them feel responsible and allows them to pack what they think they really want. I often go back and stick a few extra snacks and small games/toys in so that they have something to be excited about (besides vacation!)
I SO hear you on the packing! I won't get into it, but will agree with you in saying that husbands just don't get it when it comes to packing for kids and traveling!
Some car rental places provide carseats, you might want to ask.
Rule of thumb for when a kid doesn't need a booster is when their knees can bend over the edge of the seat at a 90 deg angle while they sit is straight (which will be different for different cars). If their calves can't hang quite straight down, they will have the tendency to slouch so they can, and that is not a safe position to sit in. My poor 9 year olds HATE this:o)
Have fun at Disney!
For some reason I'm with Mr. MOTH on this. I don't know why. I can't cite any particular reason. But, I'm with him. :)
It's crazy! Just having ONE baby DOUBLES the amount of luggage we need (one for us, one for the now toddler).
Don't use the rental carseats - you never know how they've been treated, or if they're expired, etc.
If you can swing it, pick up a couple of cheapy luggage carts and have the older kids pull their seats (or other luggage) behind them.
If you're not already a member, babycenter.com has a "traveling with children" board that has TONS of helpful info.
Oh, and try to have fun on your trip! :-)
Post a Comment