Lemme preface this post by saying I'm crabby. REALLY crabby.
My boys like sports. More specifically, they enjoy being part of a team. Oldest Boy isn't exactly "competitive" but he enjoys playing and hanging out with the other boys in his class/on his team. (Youngest Boy IS competitive, but he doesn't get to participate in basketball yet). I really enjoy watching them play because it's entertaining and there's not a lot of pressure. They don't keep score and everyone is supposed to get equal playing time.
I started to get a bit...uneasy about this year when I got an e-mail from the coach stating that, yes, technically all of the boys are supposed to get equal time but it's up to the coach to decide if they're worthy of that (for example, if they miss practice(s) they may not be allowed to play as much). For the record, the handbook does NOT state that but, whatever. We rarely miss unless there's an illness, so fine.
Our kids attend a Catholic school so they are supposed to be bound by diocesan rules, particulary for education and elementary sports programs. Last year, they were allowed a total of 3 events in any given week (with the week running from Sun-Sat, so there could be two events on one weekend and they would count towards separate weeks). I (apparently mistakenly) assumed that same policy still exists. Then I got the game schedule.
They are scheduled to play TWO (2!) games in one day. They are schedule for a total of FOUR (4!!) games/practices this week (Tues, Wed, Thurs, Sat). It is just.too.much. They are 3rd and 4th graders who are still figuring out how to fit homework in with their life and now they have to schedule around basketball? And while I enjoy sports, it should NEVER be a child's main focus - God, family, education - IN THAT ORDER.
I have questioned the coaches and haven't received an e-mail from the basketball guys yet. I did, however, hear back from our cross country coach (who we adore) and she said that yes, it's now the coach's discretion as to how many events they schedule. Another mom replied and said that, well, in order for the kids to be competitive - and since the other schools do it - they need to practice as often as they can get gym time. Um, no. Know why? THEY DON'T EVEN KEEP SCORE!! THEY DO NOT NEED TO "BE" COMPETITIVE!! This is supposed to be a developmental team where everyone plays equally so that they can learn.
So, now I'm torn. This is more of a commitment than I was prepared to make, time-wise. BUT. I also always tell the kids when you say you're going to do something, you need to do it, and do it to the best of your ability. Now, I'm still his mom. I could not take him to 1 or 2 of the events but then I feel like I'm sealing his fate to be a bench-warmer since the coach has already issued a statement that playing time will depend on participation at practice. &@!#%!! What's a mama to do?
No comments:
Post a Comment