The Race That Started It All
2 years ago, the first 5K race at the kids' school was held. I wasn't a runner. I wasn't even a fast walker. But I was determined that I would participate in the next one. And I did. That's how it all started - I wanted to contribute to an event that benefits my children's education.
This year, I ran that same race with both of my boys (and my sister). It was raining (and not just a drizzle, either) so we skipped the costumes and wore our race-day t-shirts. They blew the horn for us to start and everyone took offf. My sister, who was assigned the task of running with Oldest Boy, said, "Oh, crap! They're ALL faster than me!" I knew she didn't have to worry - the boys have a hard time with the concept of "pace". They typically run a less-than-2 mile race (for xc), so my plan was to let them run those two miles and then catch them for the final mile - and that's how it worked out with Youngest Boy. He was D.O.N.E after 2. It doesn't help that he had to run zig-zag to JUMP in every puddle (while the rest of us ran zig-zag to AVOID the puddles), but he still finished, as did the rest of us. Youngest Boy even took 3rd in his age group! WOOT! I am SOOO proud of both of them for finishing, especially considering they have never had to run in inclement weather.
The Mommy - 31:03.50
Youngest Boy - 33:17.20 (I ran back and raced him in to the finish)
Oldest Boy - 38:36.90 (Lulu raced him in, as did Papa)
Lulu (my sister) - 38:38.30 (I think it was closer than 2 seconds...and she purposely ran with her nephew)
We party-ed it up in the gym afterwards and I was glad we were there for Youngest Boy to get his medal. Can't wait for next year!!
No comments:
Post a Comment