Thursday, May 17, 2012

Motivation

I recently joined a discussion about finding motivation to exercise/workout.  I have to say, this is something that has been a complete evolution for me. 

In my 20's (aka my single years), my motivation was wanting to look good.  Healthy?  Puh.  Who cares?  I'm 24!  I'm gonna live for-ev-ah!!  Occasionally there would be a special day (mostly one that required me squeezing into an unflattering bridesmaid's dress - I own approximately 371 of them) and I would step up my efforts.  I never, ever ran.  I walked a lot.  I learned to ski.  I went caveing - which was SO much fun and one of the things I miss and hope to some day introduce to my munchkins .I became a Kathy Smith aerobic video junkie.

Then I joined a gym.  I made half-hearted attempts at weight training but that was extremely intimidating.  Oh.my.word.  I would mostly use the stairmaster.  There was one extremely thin, young(er), beautiful woman who would get on next to me and go approximately 17 times faster.  I nicknamed her "Ginger Spice" (she had red hair and the Spice Girls were popular)(yes, I'm old). 

Then I met my husband.  He worked out a lot.  He decided one year to do the Body-for-Life program and told me, "There is NO WAY you could do this!"  Did I mention how much I HATE to be told that I "can't" do something?  Yeah.  I did the 12 week program.  Twice.  Never varied and followed it exactly.  That was, at the time, the best shape I had ever been in. 

Then we had kids and my motivation was "don't get fat".  It was a hard place to be because I knew we had every intention of having more babies after the first 3 so working my hiney off to get back to my pre-baby weight was, to me, a bit pointless.  But.  I did it.  Every time.  It was really difficult after the first baby (and 54 pounds of pregnancy weight) but each time it got easier (probably because I gained less with each baby).

Now, my motivation has a name.  Actually, it has 4 names - Oldest Boy, Youngest Boy, Baby Girl, and Little One.  I want my boys to know that women can be strong and still be pretty.  I want my girls to know that strong IS pretty.  They all think that moms run.  For fun.  For PR's.  For charity.  They run.  I can't wait until next year.  They (well, the boys at least) want to run a 5K with me!  Now if I could just convince Mr. MOTH that he should do it, too!!  Maybe I should just tell him he "can't"...

2 comments:

Jennifer at Shoreline Journeys said...

Great picture! I would love to say that I have lots of motivation to exercise, but alas, I do not! Have a great weekend!

Jamie Miles said...

I am a runner too. And it is important to get the kids involved. My daughter zoned I do a mother/ daughter 5k every year. Our family did a 5k at Disney this year. Some times my son rides his scooter as I run down to our gym. Whenever exercising with them, I let them set the pace. Looks like you are off to a great start.